Fred Jones Jr Museum of Art
The University of Oklahoma’s Fred Jones Jr. Exhibition Hall of Art (located in Norman) holds north of 20,000 articles in its extremely durable assortment. The historical center assortment likewise incorporates French Impressionism, twentieth century American canvas and mold, conventional and contemporary Native American workmanship, the specialty of the Southwest, pottery, photography, contemporary craftsmanship, Asian workmanship, and illustrations from the sixteenth century to the present.
The Oklahoma University Museum of Art, the herald of the Fred Jones Jr. Exhibition hall was established in 1936 by OU craftsmanship educator Oscar Jacobson, who turned into the historical center’s first chief and served in that post until his retirement in 1950.[a]
The assortment proceeded to develop, and in 1971, another structure was fabricated called the Fred Jones Jr. Dedication Art Center. In 1992 it was renamed the Fred Jones Jr. Gallery of Art. At the point when current OU president David Boren showed up at OU in 1994, he and his significant other Molly Shi Boren started a mission to extend the gallery’s assortments.
In 2000 an endowment of the Weitzenhoffer Collection of French Impressionism was made to the exhibition hall. In 2003, development started to grow the historical center with the expansion of another wing that was finished in 2005. The new “cabin like” wing multiplied the historical center size; it was planned by Washington, D.C.- based draftsman Hugh Jacobsen. The new expansion is named to pay tribute to Mary and Howard Lester of San Francisco.
In 2007, the Fred Jones Jr. Gallery of Art and the Philbrook Museum of Art were named stewards of the Eugene B. Adkins Collection. To appropriately show OU’s part of the assortment, the University started development in 2009 on another level over the first construction. Opened in October 2011, the new 18,000 square-foot wing houses assortments gained inside the beyond 15 years. Planned by draftsman Rand Elliott, the expansion is named the Stuart Wing to respect a gift from the Stuart Family Foundation. The development included remodels to the first 1971 structure and the expansion of the Eugene B. Adkins Gallery, another photography exhibition and new authoritative workplaces. The all out gallery show space is around 40,000 square feet.
Ghislain d’Humières filled in as the Wylodean and Bill Saxon Director from 2007 to 2013. Emily Ballew Neff was designated Wylodean and Bill Saxon Director and Chief Curator 2013-14. In 2015, Mark White was named the Wylodean and Bill Saxon Director and Eugene B. Adkins Curator. White left the situation in April 2020.
BOOK A CLEANING IN 60 SECONDS