Wichita Art Museum
The gallery was laid out in 1915, when Louise Caldwell Murdock’s Will which made a trust to begin the Roland P. Murdock Collection of craftsmanship in memory of her significant other. The trust would buy craftsmanship for the City of Wichita by “American painters, potters, stone carvers, and material weavers.” The assortment incorporates works by Mary Cassatt, Arthur G. Dove, Thomas Eakins, Robert Henri, Douglas Abdell, Winslow Homer, Edward Hopper, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, John Marin, Paul Meltsner, Horace Pippin, Maurice Prendergast, Albert Pinkham Ryder and Charles Sheeler. The Museum’s entryway includes a roof and light fixture made by Dale Chihuly.
The gallery opened in 1935 with craftsmanship acquired from different exhibition halls. The main work in the Murdock Collection was bought in 1939. Mrs. Murdock’s companion, Elizabeth Stubblefield Navas, chose and bought works of American craftsmanship for the Murdock Collection until 1962. The structure was developed with another hall and two new wings in 1963. In 1964, an establishment was laid out to raise assets for new acquisitions. During the 1970s, the city fabricated a new and bigger environment controlled office. In 2003, the gallery completed another development project providing the structure with a sum of 115,000 square feet. The ongoing structure was planned by Edward Larrabee Barnes.
Tera Hedrick, a craftsmanship history specialist and Wichita East High School graduate, was employed as caretaker in 2017 subsequent to serving in a break job.
In January 2020, the gallery declared that it would start remodel on its fundamental entry and hall.
BOOK A CLEANING IN 60 SECONDS